You know a day is going to be great when you are rocking a sweet side ponytail! And that's just what I'm doing. So many awesome things to wake up to today!
1. It's the last day of a long term - two weeks off starting at 3pm.
2. I try and read books that have been made into a movie to my class so that we can compare them at the end of the term. This term we read Holes. Our librarian ordered the movie for our school collection, and while we hoped it would be here yesterday, it arrived this morning.
3. I woke up to an email from my bloggy friend Jamie over at Sixth Grade Tales, saying that I'd been nominated for an award! Wow thanks soooo much!!
Feeling rather blessed today.
So here's the breakdown.
- Link back to the blog that nominated me
- Answer the questions posted for me by my nominator
- Share 11 random facts about myself
- Create 11 questions for my nominees
- Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
- Contact my nominees to let them know I nominated them
So here are the answers to Jamie's questions!
- What is your best advice for starting a new school year? - Set your expectations/routines BEFORE the kids arrive. If you are trying to figure out how you want your students to behave after they get there you will have twice as much work to do. I've learnt that lesson the hard way!
- What is your favourite book for professional development and why? - I'm not sure that I have a favourite, but my school is using Clarity in the Classroom for our PD at the moment.
- How do you deal with giving homework? Is it the same each week? - I HATE homework. I'm not a big fan, and if I had my way I wouldn't give any. However, as I'm pretty much the only one in the world that thinks this way I've had to change. I expect my students to practice their basic facts, and read every night, and then I usually set between 3-5 more activities each week. Given Monday, due Friday, the students get up to 5 points based on how much/how well they do. Once they get to 20 points they can cash it in for a week off homework.
- I you weren't a teacher, what profession would you be in? - I've wanted to be a teacher since I was six, except for a stint where I wanted to be a lawyer. My dream really is to be a mum so probably that!
- What is your favourite thing to cook? - I love baking! Cakes, bikkies, muffins, I even tried my hand at macarons (they tasted good, but looked terrible).
- Outside of teaching, what do you like to do for fun? - I like playing games with friends and family. Monopoly and Risk are my all time favourites.
- What is your favourite place to shop? - Look Sharp Store. It's a bit like a cross between a Dollar Tree and a costume shop.
- What is your favourite educational website? - it's a toss up between www.kidblog.org and www.sumdog.com
- What kind of music do you like to listen to? - I'm a big fan of all kinds of music at different times. At the moment I'm listening to Rascal Flatts and Colton Dixon.
- What is your favourite television show? - I'm a bit of a TV nut. I quite like watching TV. The show I can't pass up at the moment is The Block Australia. I love seeing them transform run down derelict houses into multimillion dollar homes.
- What book do you love reading to your students the most? - Any book that is written by Roald Dahl, and then any book that has a movie.
My 11 Random Facts
- I'm a Christian
- I'm the eldest of 5 children
- I went to boarding school for my last 3 years of high school
- I been to 4 different countries travelling (not including New Zealand). Australia, Singapore, Bangladesh, and the USA (CA, OR, WA, and NV)
- I would LOVE to teach in the USA
- A side ponytail is my all time favourite hairstyle (I was born mid 80's so missed that awesome fashion trend. I'm trying to get it to make a comeback!)
- I was a qualified Piano teacher at age 17. I also have my performance certificate in Modern Piano
- I get the giggles often. Sometimes I can laugh uncontrollably for time periods up to about an hour!
- My favourite movie is "The Princess Bride"
- My favourite colour is green
- I can wiggle my ears
- Heather at A Special Kind of Place
- Sarah at MissKinBK
- Christin at Shifting Teacher K-2
- Jen at Tech with Jen
SO lovely people - Answer me this if you will!
- What is your favourite childhood memory?
- If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- What is your favourite movie?
- Who inspires you to do what you do?
- How many different jobs have you had in your life?
- If you could be a flavour of pie, what would you be?
- How many countries have you visited?
- What is your best advice to a new teacher?
- If you could live in any time era other than now, what would it be?
- What is the best thing about teaching?
Thanks again Jamie - I feel honoured to have been nominated!
It is now 3:28 and I am on HOLIDAY!! Yay for winter break. Two weeks of relaxing, reading, and fun.
Enjoy your break New Zealand - We deserve it!!